Read the story of EtreRef.
Note: Thanks for using the Dictionnaire de l‘Académie Française. Apple now includes a French dictionary in OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2
EtreRef is a set of dictionaries for the new Dictionary program introduced in MacOSX 10.5. The following dictionaries are currently available:
- The Holy Bible (King James version)
- The Holy Bible (American Standard version)
- The Holy Quran (Arabic text only)
- Select and download the desired dictionary.
- Double-click the downloaded ZIP file to decompress it, if your system is not setup to do this automatically.
- Double-click the installer to install the dictionary.
- Run the Dictionary program.
- Select the desired dictionary from the toolbar or the Search menu.
- For the French dictionary: just type a word into the search field. For those words that have different spelling based on gender, you can search on either.
- For the religious dictionaries: lookup a verse by typing the verse index in the search field. For example, type “john 3:16” to lookup that verse in either of the Bible dictionaries. For the Quran, type “sura 1:1” to find that particular sura. The Quran can also be searched using the Arabic sura name, such as “لفاتحة”. Your selected verse will be highlighted in the text.
- You can also select a word or verse, right-click on it, and choose Look up in Dictionary.
- This is a minor update. After doing the French dictionary I learned a few things.
- Every word in the dictionary is automatically turned into a link if it is a keyword in any other dictionary. Hover your mouse over words to learn more.
- Please note that these dictionaries require MacOSX 10.5 “Leopard” or later. They will not work in MacOS X 10.4 “Tiger”.
- The EtreRef dictionaries each include several megabytes of content. It is possible that they may contain errors and/or omissions. If you find a problem in a dictionary, please contact Etresoft.